Understanding Cantabile's Licensing System
Cantabile's licensing system has been designed to be simple to use while at the same time providing the protection from piracy that any modern software business requires to survive.
For more on the background rationale behind Cantabile licensing, see this blog post.
Cantabile uses a product activation scheme where each installation requires registration with the Cantabile Software website.
Unlike other product activation schemes, Cantabile's licensing is not designed to restrict properly licensed users from installing on multiple machines. Rather it's intended as a mechanism to stop the runaway piracy that occurs when a stolen serial number or license key is public posted to hacker forums.
Activated installations don't need to be de-activated - so long as you're within the terms of the license agreement (which is very liberal) you should never encounter issues with extra installations.
For information on what the license agreement entitles you to, see Installation on Multiple Machines
Online activation is the easiest way to activate Cantabile and is almost trivial to use:
- Start Cantabile
- You'll be prompted to enter you email address and license key
- Enter the license key you received via email
- Choose which license to use
Offline activation should be used when the machine you're installing Cantabile on doesn't have internet access:
- Start Cantabile
- Press the "Offline Activation" button
- You'll be shown a code. Copy it down.
- Visit this page: https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/offline
- Login if necessary
- Enter the code you copied down above
- Choose which license(s) you'd like to activate
- Download the generated license file and transfer it to the target machine
- Double click the file to install it
- Back in Cantabile click the Continue button and choose the license to use
Switching Between Licenses
Often you'll have multiple licenses installed. For example you'll often have a license for the free Cantabile Lite, Trial licenses for Solo and Performer as well as any purchased licenses.
You can switch licenses by choosing the "Change License" command from Cantabile's Help menu.
Cantabile User Portal
The Cantabile User Portal let you view your licenses, view receipts for purchases, purchase upgrades and to facilitate offline activatation.
You can access the portal in any of the following ways:
- By visiting this page: https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/portal
- By clicking the "Account" link in the top right corner of any page on the cantabilesoftware.com website
- By choosing "Cantabile User Portal" from Cantabile 3's Help menu
To access the portal you'll need to set a password. If you haven't yet set a password and need to access the portal you can do one of the following:
- Use the portal link in the original email you received when registering to use Cantabile
- Use the Cantabile User Portal from Cantabile 3's Help menu with a valid license installed. Cantabile will automatically log you in using your license key for credentials.
- Use the Forgot Password link on the login page.
Backing Up Licenses
If you're concerned about needing to reinstall Cantabile when internet access is not available you can back up either the download license files used during offline activation, or the file where Cantabile stores the installed licenses:
Note that license activations are tied to the product key of the Window installation - so to use the same licence activations on a different machine you'll need to use the same Windows product key.
(To be clear: we don't have access to your Windows product key - we simply create a one-way hash based on it)
Licensed Cantabile Solo users can purchase an upgrade to Cantabile Performer for the difference in price between the two editions. See below for how to purchase an upgrade.
When you purchase Cantabile you're entitled to free updates for one year from the purchase date. After this first year, Cantabile will continue to run and you'll still be able to activate your license however newly released versions of Cantabile will not work and you'll need to purchase a subscription renewal.
You can purchase a subscription renewal at any time and it will extend your subscription by one year from the current subscription expiry date.
Note: if your subscription expires you can renew it after the fact, but it will be extended by one year from the date it expired (not the date you renewed it).
Purchasing Upgrades and Subscription Renewals
Upgrades and subscription renewals can be purchased through the User Portal:
- Login to the Cantabile User Portal. See above.
- Click to expand the license you want to purchase the upgrade or subscription renewal for.
- Links will be shown for any available upgrades - click the link and follow the instructions.