After a long time missing in action, Cantabile’s Morph and Randomize tools are finally back!
The basic work flow is this:
- Open the plugin’s editor, or Cantabile’s parameter editor.
- From the menu button in the top right hand corner, choose “Enable Morph and Randomize”
- Adjust some of the plugin’s parameters
- Move the morph bar slider — the parameters will move between their original values and the adjusted values.
The full guide covers all this in a lot more detail including how to morph between two existing programs.
For the randomize tools there are a couple of settings, then just hit the Randomize button.
- Constrained Randomization — limits randomization to the A/B parameter ranges configured for morphing.
- Randomization Amount — how much to randomize the parameters by.
You can also combine the morph and randomize tools to come up with some interesting new sounds — again, see the guide for details.
Compared to Cantabile v2
The are a couple of differences between the morph and randomize tools in Cantabile 2 and 3…
- Smoother workflow in Cantabile 3 — Cantabile 2 had a couple of different randomize/morph modes. These have been dropped for a simpler, more efficient UI design.
- Per-preset Settings — Cantabile 2 had one set of morph/randomize settings. Cantabile 3 stores different settings for each of a plugin’s presets so you can setup multiple morph ranges and switch between them.
- Binding Support — Morph and Randomize can now be controlled via bindings — morph a plugin’s settings live! (Solo and Performer Only)
- Animation Support Dropped — v2 had the ability to animate morphing and randomization — this hasn’t been implemented (not sure if it will ever be).
- Randomization History Dropped — v2 could step back through the randomization history. This also hasn’t been implemented but may be added at some point.
Besides the Morph and Randomize tools, there have also been a couple of other improvements:
- A new button in the top left hand corner of the plugin editor that lets you open the other editor — eg: switch from plugin GUI to Cantabile’s parameter editor or vice versa
- New commands in the plugin editor menu to Copy and Paste programs — handy for moving a preset from one position to another
- Undo Program Changes command (also in the plugin editor menu) undoes all changes to a program since it was selected. (There’s no step by step undo/redo because the VST spec doesn’t provide enough information to support this)
- New program and bank export formats “*.CantabileBank” and “*.CantabileProgram” that can be used to import/export a plugin bank or program including all the morph and randomize settings.
All this is available now in all editions of Cantabile starting with build 3242.
Get It Now! Enjoy :)